15 March 2018
NEON Summit: Enabling access to higher education for disabled learners: How can HE do more?
Supporting disabled students to succeed in higher education remains prominent on the HE policy agenda – as can be seen through the work of the Disabled Students’ Sector Leadership Group and their 2017 report ‘Inclusive Teaching and Learning in Higher Education as a route to Excellence’. However, the journey to HE begins well before entry and it is crucial that HE providers work with schools, colleges and other stakeholders to ensure that learners with disabilities receive bespoke support to enable them to progress to HE at the pre-entry stage. This event will focus on how to support the progression of disabled learners into HE, what HE is doing to enable this alongside whether and how HE could be doing more.
Who should attend?
This summit will be of particular interest to:
- Widening participation managers;
- Outreach managers;
- Access officers;
- Admissions Directors and Co-ordinators,
- Admissions Officers;
- Heads of Student Support services;
- Equality and Diversity professionals;
- Colleagues working within the NCOP initiative.
- Sarah Howls, Head of Student Opportunities, Higher Education Funding Council for England;
- Professor Geoff Layer, Vice Chancellor of the University of Wolverhampton, Chair of the Disabled Students Sector Leadership Group;
- Dr. Navin Kikabhi, Chair of the Alliance for Inclusive Education;
- Representatives from Greater Manchester Higher;
- Dr Graeme Atherton, Director of NEON.
More speakers to be announced.
9.30 – Registration
10.00 – Welcome from Chair
10.10 – Supporting Disabled Students over the student lifecycle
10.30 – Supporting disabled learners to enter HE: The present context
11.30 – Break
11.50 – Reaching out to disabled learners: What is being done?
12.50 – Lunch
1.45 – Social Mobility and Disabled Students – Policy priorities and developments
2.05 – Supporting disabled learners to progress to HE – What needs to be done?
3.15 – Improving participation of disabled learners – How do we move forward?
3.45 – Summary and close
Places at this event are strictly limited so early booking is advisable.> Book this event