NEON Summer Symposium 2017 – Call for Papers
NEON would like to invite the submission of proposals for research papers and examples of best practice for presentation at the NEON Summer Symposium 2017. This year our two day event will be held at the Leeds Beckett University on June 8th & 9th and will focus upon
Widening Access in Higher Education – Are we there yet?
8th and 9th June 2017
Leeds Beckett University
We are seeking research papers/best practice examples to be presented at the NEON Summer Symposium that focus on the following topics:
- Understanding the nature of widening access practice – how do HEIs and others plan and design their portfolios of work and what do these portfolios look like?
- How are HEIs, schools and others working together to raise attainment and what are the challenges in meeting government policy goals here?
- What is being done to support greater participation (as well as retention and success) for learners with disabilities?
- Building vocational pathways – how are degree apprenticeships being taken forward and how are learners on vocational courses experiencing HE and being supported to succeed?
- The relationship between the TEF, widening access and future targets;
- Outcomes from the NNCO – what projects were developed? Are they being sustained? What did we learn about building partnerships and supporting learners?
- The use of data to both shape who is targeted and what is delivered – is practice as data informed and led as it should be?
- The relationship between outreach, student retention and student success – how are HEIs developing strategic approaches to connecting the student lifecycle?
- Helping students from widening access backgrounds achieve their potential in HE – inclusive learning and teaching and/or targeting approaches?
- Connecting access and identity – challenges and innovation in supporting white disadvantaged males/females and those from BAME backgrounds.
We will seek to combine papers into interesting and stimulating sessions, the outcomes of which will be captured by NEON and used to inform our agenda going forward into 2017-18.
Presenting at the NEON Summer Symposium will have a tangible outcome for presenters i.e.:
- Discounted delegate rate
- Informing the agenda and work of NEON
- Published on the NEON Resource Room
Papers presentations at the 2017 NEON Summer Symposium will be between 25 to 30 minutes total (15 – 20 minutes presentation, with 5 – 10 minutes for further questions).
Presenters will be invited to submit full papers by 30th July to be considered for inclusion in the NEON Resource Room section of our website.
If you wish to submit a paper or workshop proposal please download and complete the pro-forma below and return to Martin Webster at firstname.lastname@example.org by 5.00pm, Friday, 17 March 2017.
We look forward to welcoming you to Leeds Beckett University for, what promises to be, an outstanding two days.