Improving access and outreach programmes for mature learners
Access Academy Training
10:00 am - 4:00 pm
In the Office for Students report last year, “Transforming opportunity in higher education”, it stated that “mature students have not been prioritised by many providers despite low and decreasing proportions of such students in their populations and the sector more broadly.” The Access Academy Training will looks at the barriers to learning for mature leaners studying HE in an FE college and how the educational sector can react in order to increase the participation of mature learners and ensure the equality in participation rates increase.
During the day delegates will:
- Consider how institutions can support the progression of mature learners into HE
- Consider the challenges for mature learners to progress to HE and identify strategies to overcome these
- Discuss the transition to online delivery and other practical elements for consideration
- Developing an action plan for working with mature learners
- Opportunity to network with other widening access professionals
Date: Tuesday 13th July
Time: 10am to 4pm
Venue: Online via Zoom
· What do we mean by mature learners?
· What barriers might they face?
· How can they overcome these?
|11.10-12.00||Access to HE Diplomas – the view from the awarding bodies and colleges|
|13.30-14.15||Student Panel – TBC|
|14.15-15.35 (break included)||Presentation on recruitment and student support/retention|
|15.35-15.50||Action plan- what are you going to do following today?|