NEON Summer Symposium 2019
NEON Summer Symposium
13/06/2019 - 14/06/2019
10:30 am - 2:00 pm
The seventh annual NEON Summer Symposium is being held on Thursday 13th and Friday 14th June 2019 at Lancaster University. The 2018 event was attended by 220 delegates from across the country, making it the most well-attended to date, 2019 is set to be even bigger!
The theme of the 2019 Summer Symposium will be “The third age of widening access”.
We are entering a new era for widening access and participation in higher education. After the focus on access for working class adults gave way in the 2000s and 2010s to one on young people entering higher education (HE), we are now moving to the third age of widening access where access and outcomes share centre stage. But will this new era look any differently from the past?
The conference will look at where we are now in access and participation in HE, where we have been and where we want to go. Can we learn from the experiences of the past 20 years? What does successful outcomes for learners from under-represented backgrounds actually mean? Can we make equitable access more central to the missions of HEIs, schools and employers than it has been in the past?
Bringing together key figures from across the education sector, policymakers and employers with organisations from across sectors committed to social mobility through widening access to HE, thus NEON’s seventh Summer Symposium will be the most important event for those working in the field in 2019.
The NEON Summer Symposium – the event for widening access professionals you can’t afford to miss.
Keynote speakers include:
- Dr Graeme Atherton, Director, NEON & Head, AccessHE
- Professor Steve Bradley, Interim Deputy Vice Chancellor, Lancaster University
- Sarah Howls, Head of Access and Participation, Office for Students (OfS)
More names to be announced shortly.
- Member organisation rate – early bird: £195 (reduced from £225)
- Non-member rate – early bird: £269 (reduced from £299)
- FE/HE Students’ Unions/Schools/Sixth Form Colleges rate – £160
Early bird deadline is Friday 8 March 2019.
Who should attend?
The NEON Summer Symposium offers two days of stimulating keynotes, presentations and discussions. It is also an invaluable opportunity for widening access professionals, careers advisors, student support specialists, policy analysts and academics to engage with each other and discuss best practice – driving forward the social mobility agenda that we are all dedicated to.
- Admissions Managers/Officers
- Campaigning Organisations
- Careers Services and Advisers
- Community and Voluntary Organisations
- Deans and Registrars
- Directors/Heads of Widening Participation
- Disability Practitioners
- Education Charities
- Education Officers
- Equal Opportunities Officers
- Equality, Diversity and Human Rights Practitioners
- Fair Access Managers/Officers
- Heads of Department/Faculty
- Heads of Higher Education
- Heads of Learning Services
- Local Authority Officers and Councillors
- NCOP Practitioners
- Outreach Managers/Officers
- Participation and Outreach Teams
- Retention Teams
- School/College Principals and Vice Principals
- Schools and FE Colleges
- Student Recruitment Teams
- Student Services Teams
- University Chancellors and Vice Chancellors
Feedback from NEON Summer Symposium 2018
‘Great chance to meeting new people with experience in the sector and exchange views’
‘Enjoyed discussing all aspects of WP from issues and challenges to share best practice. I left with much food for thought’
‘Opportunity to learn about the work taking place nationally. Discuss what does and doesn’t work – knowing you’re not on your own’
‘Having time to reflect in an environment where WP is the focus and you can hear what others are doing in the sector’
‘Stimulating thoughts about strategic implication’
The NEON Summer Symposium is kindly supported by: