What are the issues for success for students from ethnically diverse backgrounds
Access Academy Training
10:00 am - 4:00 pm
Both student retention, attainment and success, differ significantly by ethnic group across the higher education sector. For many higher education institutions reducing these gaps is a key part of their Access and Participation Plans (APPs) and addressing them is a priority.
This course will consider the background to, and strategies to tackle, these gaps.
During the day delegates will:
- Consider some of the issues for students from ethnically diverse backgrounds within the HE context;
- Discuss the issues for students from within the context of delegates’ own institutions;
- Hear institutional perspectives with practical examples on how we tackle the issues for students from ethnically diverse backgrounds;
- Develop an activity or intervention to support students from ethnically diverse backgrounds to improve their retention, attainment and success;
- Have the opportunity to network with other higher education professionals responsible for the retention and success of ethnically diverse students and share best practice.
The course is suitable for:
- Members of the Senior Management Team with responsibility for retention, attainment and success;
- Heads of Widening Access, Support Services, or Careers;
- Staff members responsible for the development and delivery of interventions to improve the retention, attainment and success of students, particularly those from ethnically diverse groups;
- Those with an interest in the topic and in finding out how gaps can be addressed.
Date: Tuesday 17th May
Time: 10am to 4pm
Venue: Online via Zoom