Widening Participation in Post Graduate Study Meeting
NEON Working Groups
2:00 pm - 4:00 pm
This Working Group aims to bring together widening participation practitioners and careers staff to share best practice that will:
- Support WP UG students into PG study – working with careers advisers and academic staff to provide effective IAG on what PG study is, and whether it is the right choice for them
- Consider diversity of incoming PG cohorts – known participation gaps exist across the sector across various WP indicators; HE participation at UG level does not always result in a level playing field
- Consider metrics for the evaluation of intervention activity to support progression of WP students to PG study
- Seek opportunities to share best practice at a national level
This Working Group is organised by The University of Manchester and the University of Leeds.
The meeting will be held online on Thursday 7th October from 2pm to 4pm.
Please register to receive the log in details and to be able to access the meeting.
2:00pm – Welcome (Louise Banahene, chair)
2:05pm – Updates from workstreams
– On course success (Rachel Van Krimpen)
– Approaches to strategy and implementation (Louise Banahene)
– Research and academic studies (Louise Banahene) – please click here for report “Widening Participation in Post-Graduate Teaching and Research” (P Sucharatikul and L Windsor) which provides an international review of the current barriers facing widening participation in postgraduate education and an evaluation of global solutions
– Careers and Employability (Stacey Mottershaw)
2:30pm – SLC update on access to Postgraduate Loans (Kevin McMullan)
2:55pm – Break
3:05pm – Inequality in the Highest Degree – report overview and key findings (Paul Wakeling)
3:35pm – Identifying admissions criteria to improve diversity at PGT and PGR – update (Felicity Wicks)
3:50pm – AOB and close